Mission of the Foundation
The mission of the Foundation Flight, Expulsion, Reconciliation is to keep alive the memory of flight and expulsion in the twentieth century in the spirit of reconciliation and in the historical context of the Second World War, National Socialist expansion and extermination policy, and their consequences.
The pillars of the Foundation’s work are:
1. The creation, maintenance and further development of a permanent exhibition on the topic of flight and expulsion in the twentieth century, its historical backgrounds and contexts, and its European dimensions and consequences;
2. The development of exhibitions on special aspects of the overall topic;
3. The dissemination of research findings and academic insights;
4. The collection, documentation and scholarly evaluation of relevant records and materials, especially of eyewitness accounts;
5. Cooperation with German and international museums and research institutions.
Legal Structure / Legislation
The Foundation Flight, Expulsion, Reconciliation (SFVV) was established as a Public Law Foundation of the Federal Government on 30 December 2008 in Berlin. This was based on the law establishing the “German Historical Museum” Foundation (DHMG). The SFVV therefore is a dependent foundation under the auspices of the DHM.
The decision by the German Bundestag assigns sole responsibility for funding the Foundation to the Federal Commissioner for Culture and Media.
Commissions and Management
A Board of Trustees serves as a supervisory organization. An Advisory Council provides support for academic questions related to the Foundation’s work.
Director Dr. Gundula Bavendamm was elected by the Board of Trustees in 2016 and has managed the Foundation since.
Twelve million refugees and expellees were registered in East and West Germany in 1950. They had to eke out a living under extremely difficult economic and social conditions. Cultural differences also presented a challenge to the coexistence of the locals and the new arrivals. This is also evident in the traditional clothing that some Hungarian Germans continued to wear.
© Donauschwäbisches Zentralmuseum Ulm